- Complete the text. Use: boiled / body/ alchemist / German / gold /colour / burned / phosphorous
Hennig Brand was a 1-German 2-Alchemist who lived in the 1600 (16 Hundreds). In the 17 Century alchemists wanted to extract 3-Gold from the human -4-Body He was sure urine had gold because of its 5-Colour He 6-Boiled his own urine and finally 7-Burned the resulting paste at a high temperature. Smoke appeared and this paste burned violently . Brand had isolated 8-Phosphorous from his urine. This was the first element that was isolated.
- Which were the elements in the “Greek Periodic Table”?
- Why was Antoine Lavoisier important character for Chemistry?
- How do we know him now?
- Complete these ideas with verbs in the Passive Voice. You may need present or past tenses. Explain why.
e.g. All elements were created in the Big Bang. (create)
- Elements WERE FORMED and RELEASED into space by exploding stars. (form/release)
- These elements WERE STUDIED by scientists during history. (study)
- The list of elements CAN FIND in the Periodic Table. (find)
- Elements like gold, silver and copper WERE DISCOVERED by ancient cultures. (discover)
- These elements WERE USED for jewelry and tools. (use)
- Gold, silver and copper CAN BE FOUND easily. (can/find)
- Are these sentences TRUE or FALSE?
- For Lavoisier an element cannot be separated by chemical means/methods. F
- He made a short list of 2 or 3 elements. F
- He divided elements into gases or metals. T
- He created a complete periodic table. F
- Complete the table with the scientists’ names. Put them in chronological order (according to the video. Copy the correct sentences.
His contribution to science.
Wolfgang Döbereiner: B-H
Dmitri Mendeleev: D-F
Hennig Brand: A
Antoine Lavoisier: C-E John Dalton: G
isolated the first element.
combined elements to see how they reacted to one another.
finally organized the set of elements in the periodic table.
organized elements according to their atomic weight.
defined what an element was.
predicted elements that had not been discovered yet.
discovered shared properties and reactions.
- Make a list of the elements that appear on the video. Include at least 6 elements